Wednesday, March 26, 2014

By The Church

This painting was my latest demo for my advanced watercolor class at the Frank Bette Center for the Arts in Alameda.  The class topic was working with figures in your composition.  During the six week class we walked through the painting in steps. 
The first day was a discussion of drawing figures and the importance of seeing the gesture and the silhouette.  I painted several figures actively fishing and working on a sailboat.  Once the silhouette was defined then shape shadowing was added.

The following week I began the demonstration of "By The Church."  The first step was to consider where the figure should be placed.  When I had taken the source photo, the figure had already walked past the dark open door to the church.  The doorway had been a very dynamic position with the figure entering the picture from the right and her bright colors set off by the dark surrounding.  In the the photograph she has walked past, into almost the center of the picture and her head merges with the line of the shelf behind her.  So I moved her position in the painting to the more appealing place in front of the dark doorway. 
This will be a painting that plays grays against the bright colors of our figure.  To make the grays interesting, I will play cool colors against warm in successive wash layers.  I want the door to recede so I have started with a cool blue in that area and warm pinkish browns for the rest of the stone church.  My colors for most of this painting are Phalo Blue, Quinacridone Pink and Burnt Sienna, which will form all the gray and black shades.  I want my figure to have fully saturated colors so I have left her white at this point except her dark hair and the blue green shawl.
The next week I came back and built the darker areas with the opposite color from the first layer.  Pink on blue, and blue on pink.  The silhouette of the figure was painted to completion, in bright colors.  I have used cadmium red for the blouse, added a hint of quinacridone gold to the phalo blue to make a brighter turquoise on her shawl and the painted the apron and purse with cobalt blue.


My next step was to further develop the light and dark spaces to accent the center of interest:  Our lady looking at the statue on the church.

The next step was to mix two gray/blacks, one warm leaning toward the warm brown reds and the second, cool with a hint of blue tone.  The scattered feeling of the previous layer is tied together with this mid tone wash.  Once it is dry the dark shadows are added.  Notice how well the bright figure now stands out.
To complete the painting I have waited a day to think about what was needed.  I added a few more dark spots and a few light lifted areas like the border at the base of the church wall.  The woman's shadow was lightened so her dark shoe now shows. You can see more of my work and purchase it, on my website http://www.margaretfago.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment